Thursday, May 5, 2011

Art Blog: Times of GOOD and PLENTY

I don’t know if it is my age or just plain life circumstances, but I am very reflective these days. One thing that has been on my mind a lot lately is trying so very hard to be in the moment. So often all of us are so busy and waiting for the NEXT thing to happen, we don’t even know what is going on right now! We haven’t taken time to stop, think, and look at what is really going on around us.

We have all heard of the expression “there are good times and bad times”. Right now our world is going crazy. It would be so easy to think things are really awful. Maybe this is why I decided to write about this. I am trying to apply my life lessons learned.

I have been dabbling with the idea of entering an installation show down here at a Florida venue. It sounds so enticing. Back years ago, I did installation art. I loved it. However, times were so different then. I had more space. I lived were there were more galleries that would allow you to do installations. Also to defray the cost of doing installations, galleries would give artists “stipends”. Remember those??? I (and probably many other artists at that time) didn’t realize how lucky we were. “THEY” would give you money to do a work of art??? Say what? Yes, they did. It isn’t like that anymore.

Similarly, the art scene was so vibrant and extravagant. I went to openings that had full spreads of food. I remember sticking stuff in my pockets for tomorrow’s lunch. It seemed money wasn’t an object. We were living the high life and we didn’t even know it. At least, I didn’t realize how we artists were so lucky back then. I didn’t realize our good fortune because I wasn’t in the moment. Also, I didn’t have the cycles of life behind me yet. I had no other reality to which to compare.

So now I am trying to look around, watch, and understand my 2011 reality. There are no stipends for installations shows. There are very few gala openings with a banquet of food. There are even fewer art buyers who pay hundreds and thousands for art work. This seems so sad. However, it is what it is. The ironic twist to this story is I like now better. Even though I have had the good fortune to live through an era of GOOD AND PLENTY, I find my life now to be far more gratifying. Times are good for me because I have finally learned to try to be in the moment and notice the good parts. This is skill that needs to be honed, but I am getting better at it!



“Language of the Birds”
Click pic for larger view

Mixed media

By Sheree Rensel

I picked this work to represent this post because it represents a time when I didn’t have a clue about the MOMENT. I love this piece. I did a series of three works that were similar. It was a strong series. However, I was so interested in going on to the next thing; I lost the continuity and potential of this idea. I am taking a relook at this now. I am trying to be in the moment.

No comments: