Sunday, June 5, 2011

Art Blog: Let’s Be Friends

I LOVE synchronicity. LOVE it! I am having that kind of year. I could mention every proverbial cliché (“..one door closes, another opens”; “When the student is ready, the teacher will appear”; “Everything happens for a reason”; yadda yadda yadda… I won’t bore you, but it is all true. Synchonistic events are happening on an almost daily basis for me. Years ago, I would waste a week trying to figure out why all this is happening. Now, I just smile a big smile and say, YES!

Artists are a unique bunch to say the least. There are so many different kinds of artists. There are the artists of various media and genre. There are artists who are experienced and there are artist newbies. There are social butterfly, marketing artists and those (like me) who could go the rest of their lives not talking to anybody about their work because they are just too busy making stuff. This is all good. We are a heterogeneous bunch.

But are we really all that different? I don’t think so. In fact, I think we are homogeneous. We all want the same thing. The form it takes might differ, but we are really more alike than different. I was speaking to an ART FRIEND today Judy Vienneau We were talking about wanting art friends. I was so excited to hear her mention this. I had art friends years ago. Now, I have art acquaintances. I long for art friends. Really.

After leaving my studio, I got home and got an email for another ART FRIEND Tina Nordloh. Tina mentioned some of the exact same things Judy and I had just talked about at ArtLofts studios.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh……Synchronicity. I love it! I truly believe we are all more alike than different. It is time for artists to put their guard down. We need to let go of any fear and embrace each other. What is good for one is good for all of us. If one succeeds, it gives the rest of us hope that art reigns and our time will come. Be happy for other artists! In the meantime, we have to be united as one. We have to cheer each other on with great gusto and encouragement. Being an artist is difficult at times. I know. I have lived the artist life for about 40 years now. It shows on my face! Regardless, I am ready to embrace artists of all sorts. As creatives, we should try to be ONE. Let’s be friends!



Click pic for detail view
We are all such art loners, but in our heart of hearts, we want the support of (ART) others and have art friends. We really don’t want to be alone.
Hey, we are in this together!

5 comments:

Liz Ruest said...

Totally agree! I had lost some critical art friends, and am slowly building an art community back up, in real life and online. Hurray for art friends.

deb said...

I love your "Leave me alone"....classic with feeling!
Luvs, deb

namastenancy said...

If only...Today I ran into a fellow artist at the store where I was picking up a piece that I had framed. I was so excited about it that I asked her to come and look at it. Well, she looked with down turned mouth and with a contemptuous voice, asked me what medium it was. I told her it was a watercolor (pretty obvious) and she then could hardly wait to get out of there. The contempt, disdain and arrogance was palpable. It was a very upsetting experience which made me furious. Why be so rude? Why be condescending and dismissive? It was completely uncalled for and unnecessary!

Sheree Rensel said...

Liz,
Yes Hooray for art friends. You are lucky to be building up your art community!


Nancy,
I TOTALLY understand. There is this weird competition going on sometimes. This is exactly why I wanted to write this post. It is unnecessary! Like I said "We are all in this together!" If we don't support each other, who will support us???
I don't know if it is human nature or feelings of fear that are so apparent. However one thing I do know, that kind of behavior isn't about us at all. It is about those that choose to be negative. I feel sorry for them.

JafaBrit's Art said...

I am so blessed to have a lot of art friends in this town, and for the most part very supportive of each other. Not so in other places I've lived, and sad to say have experienced some of what Nancy mentions. In the end copping such an attitude works against artists, so I agree with you Sheree. It is elitism, jealousy/spite or fear that I see behind it, such a shame.