Friday, July 29, 2011

Art Blog: Technoholic?

Can you remember before you ever owned a computer? Can you really remember? For me it is a vague memory. I have been working with technology on the job since 1980. However, I didn’t own my first personal computer until 1996. Those were the days you had to pay over $3. per hour to use AOL. I knew I was in trouble the first months of internet trolling. I was getting AOL bills in the hundreds of dollars each month. It was crazy.

In retrospect, I see that time as the beginnings of a new and strange habit. It quickly consumed me. I sat at that old Mac and typed until dawn. Nowadays, my techno behavior is pretty much the same. However, it is much more intense and at times, frightening.
So am I an addict?

Just like many of you who are reading this right now, I have wondered about how technology has such a hold on me. However, I quiver to think of myself as an addict. Most of us think addicts are useless people who accomplish very little in their lives because they are too busy using a habit forming substance. We visualize a dark eyed, unbathed, slob on the street corner looking for his/her next hit. That is not us, right?

Ask yourself these questions:
1. Have you had any problems in your life due to your technology use?
2. Has your use of technology caused you any family trouble?
3. Have you stopped taking time to explore other interests because you are too busy online?
4. Do you feel frantic and have heart palpitations if you lose your cell phone or don’t have your iPad within reach?
5. Have you missed events or appointments because you would rather stay online?
6. Do you have a feverish urge to find the newest techno gadgets so you can be the first to show and amaze your friends?
7. Do you ever peek at your FB or G+ profile page to REMEMBER what you wrote the night before?
8. Is technology the first thing you think of in the morning and the last thing you think about at night?
9. Do you ever have a gut feeling you are devoting too much time to technology?

Last but not least:
10. Have you ever tried to go a day WITHOUT technology? Were
you successful?

How many of those questions did you answer YES to? I don’t have an answer or rating scale as to how many YES answers make you an addict, but at least I have you thinking.

The main thing to realize is that we can be addicted to anything. We are creatures who develop habits, some good and some bad. To categorize something as a negative addiction there is a primary criteria:
Does it cause you harm?

THINK ABOUT IT. Are you a technoholic?



“Bartender, would you pass me a flash drive?”

1 comment:

JafaBrit's Art said...

I remember very clearly what life was like without technology and I ain't wearing rose glasses. I love technology :)
I answered no to nearly all your questions however. I do however freak out and feel awful if I leave the house without my digital camera, the cell phone is an afterthought.