Friday, November 25, 2011

Art Blog: Connecting the Dots

Social media and networking was made for me. I hate socializing in real life. I don’t like talking to people in the flesh. I get flustered and self conscious. I don’t even use a telephone. Typing and reading is my thing. Also, I find an online life to be useful while living alone by allowing myself to be part of reality (albeit skewed).

For me, my online life works like any other form of life. I talk, I visit, I see. I experience. There is even serendipity. There are moments that occur that are meant to happen at that moment. For me there are no coincidences. Everything happens for a reason and I see it online all the time. For example, I have been going through the hell of self examination and reevaluation lately. My mindset has been more brutal than ever before. It is a sign of the times. I have gone back and forth in my mind, over and over: new job/old job, new art/old art, Florida/pack a backpack and get the hell outta here, Give up art/die? It goes on and on. I mean, I am really beating myself up with too many decisions to make and feel miserable that I can’t make one.

Then I see a post from Rick Becker on Facebook. He poses the question: “What is the point of art?” This is a totally valid question, but I read more into it. I turned the table on myself. What is the point of art, Sheree? Well to me a point is a dot and that is what I am busy doing right now. I am connecting dots until I find my way to my future. I am tracing from "Plan A" to "Plan whatever" while trying to figure out what the picture will be. The point of art for me is being Sheree. Without art, there is no Sheree. That is the easy answer for me.

As I read the comments and thought more, I saw a post about the artist Nina Di Vita. Serendipity strikes again. Trying to stay positive and dreaming about my own future art, I started to visualize a whole new series of work. I think my “THANKFUL” painting put me on a new path. When I went to Nina’s website, something hit me. No, I don’t want to do work like hers. I can’t. I am Sheree and do my own work. However, there was an essence there that spoke to me. It told me I am on the right track. Dots connected!

After writing a few more comments on FB, I looked up and realized even though it is painful and frustrating at times, connecting-the-dots of life is a necessary endeavor. We have to do this to find our way. We have to continue to do what we do best to evolve into ourselves. We have to connect-the-dots to see the whole picture.
That is the POINT and I am THANKFUL.




“Thankful”
Acrylic on Canvas
24” x 24”
Sheree Rensel
(Click pic for detail)


No comments: