Friday, January 13, 2012

Art Blog: Artistic ROOTS



I hurt myself today. I have no idea how, but I have a bum leg at the moment. So I am hobbling around, dragging my foot here and there. Been there, done this. I will be fine if I stop trying to hobble. Ignore the pain is my motto. So I will. I was working on one of my “art signs”. It is stuff I make that is cool and affordable. This is still a work in progress. Then, I turned to wash a brush and I saw the spider plant babies I put in a jar just a week ago. I saw they are already growing roots! Nature is so amazing.



My wandering mind made me think about how we are all a part of nature. We have all grown roots too. Things are crazy for me now and I am extra introspective. I realized how I am at a crossroads. I have no idea what will happen next, but I do know what happened before this. I started thinking about my artistic roots. I knew I was going to be an artist when I was a very little girl. I would watch my dad make stuff. He was a maker and I wanted to be a maker too. He worked with vinyl and these shiny rivets. I remember him making these weird, wood plagues when I was of preschool age. His brother was a painter. I knew this too. Even at four years old, I knew art was my destiny. I got their genes.

Shortly after this, my dad left with a “pretty woman”. I didn’t really get to spend time with him again until I was 13 years old. That year, he bought me an oil painting set. Despite our distance and alienation, he knew I was one of them. He knew. During that year I spent with him, I painted on the front porch of his house. Then, I was told I had to leave. The “pretty woman” wanted me gone. So I vanished back to the mother-land.

Despite the transplantation, I kept painting. I wish I was in documentation mode back then. I would love to see some of my first awful paintings again. I have no photos though. So sad. There was a drippy, cat eyes painting which someone bought for about $20. I also remember a pastel drawing of our dog “Yum Yum”. That was cool. I really thought that was GREAT ART! LOL There were all kinds of paintings and drawings that were made during my high school days. One cliché “swans on a lake” was sold for $50. I thought I won the lottery!

I can remember the very first “real” painting I did. I mean real in the sense I REALLY felt like an artist. I was fifteen. I did a copy of “Jesus on the Mount”. I don’t have a photo of it. I wish I did. However, I know it was so horrible. I had turned it into a near circus scene. The colors were very bright and garish. Despite this, I thought I was a REAL artist after the completion of this work. Some religious person bought it from me and I was so, so proud. I think that was the moment my art career started. I had accomplished my goal. I wanted to be an artist and this one painting made me feel like I was on my way.

Now decades and decades later, I want that feeling again. I want to feel like an artist and be on my way once again.



I am not religious, but maybe there is some kind of symbolism here(?) Say an art prayer for me.
Also, THINK ABOUT YOUR OWN Art roots.
How did you become an artist?

No comments: