Thursday, January 19, 2012

Art Blog: Artist’s Intuition

I have always respected my intuition. It has been right 99.9% of the time. I haven’t always acknowledged this stellar record. Shame on me! There have been times when I knew the truth, but I ignored it. This happened because of fear. Now, I am starting to listen and realize if my gut tells me something, LISTEN.

Today was the very last day I had with my current students. I have been in that same room with the blue floor for more than eighteen years. As the day ended, I felt no sadness. One student told me she wanted to cry. I said “No, don’t cry. It is all good for both of us.” During the final moments of the day, I was packing up some of my last things and there was a knock on the door. When I answered, I was told this is the “new” teacher. She wanted to see the room. I welcomed her with open arms. I gave her a tour and explained as much as I could explain in an hour. I wished her well. I really do.

I felt NOTHING.

I am so sentimental. I cry during Hallmark commercials. I didn’t cry today because I know my decision to find a new life is right and true. I signed on to do this job in 1993. It was a wonderful job and an artist’s dream opportunity. Times have changed. Systems have changed. I found myself being required to do things that were just not in the spirit of my art educator mentality the past few months.

Sooooooooooooooooo……………………………………

I have always been one to live my life with a simple motto:

If it doesn’t feel good, DON’T do it!

I haven't felt good about my art job life for a while now. I decided I just don’t want to do it anymore. Ironically, I have a series of paintings which express the images and statements of my students. One painting is titled
“YOU CAN’T MAKE ME”
This is how I feel right now. My intuition is in full force. NOBODY can make you do what you don’t want to do. That is a fact. So, I won’t. I am taking my toys and tools to a new playground now.
It feels good. Nuf said.


BTW LISTEN to your INTUITION!!



Click pic for detail view

No comments: