Sunday, February 5, 2012

Art Blog: Blackout

I made a deal with myself. A week or so ago, I told myself I am not going to post any negative posts on any internet venue. I am trying to be buoyant and optimistic. Right now, things are rough. I am starting to worry and fret about my future. This is being exacerbated by listening to the gloom and doom broadcast on TV and other media sources. I keep telling myself it will be OK. Then, I watch, listen, and read. According to everyone else, my future is bleak. Why I am listening and believing? This is a great question. I can’t answer why I am buying into the predictions of devastation. All I do know is I am starting to believe or at least wonder.

I can’t let this happen.

I need to distance myself and focus. It is difficult to do with the media mania happening around me. I will admit this is my own fault. Ever since 1980 when I sat down at my first CRT and stared at the “green screen”, computers have been my life. When the internet came, I was hooked the first time I listened to that modem whine. Now, techno is my life blood. There isn’t a day when I am not uploading, posting, surfing, prodding, poking, and doing everything internet-errific! It is getting to me right now. Yes, I guess you could say I am CRASHING. I need to step back.

I am not sure I can do this, but I would like to try to go without computers for at least a week. I am not sure I can manage this extreme aspiration. I mean I have been on the computer every day for over fifteen years. However my life right now is an illustration of one definition of insanity: “Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.” Right now, there are no different results. However, there is a whole lot of the same thing over and over again. This is why I want to do something outrageous albeit necessary.

I am not sure I will be able to do this. It is like a diet. I might last a day or two or three, but a whole week? One thing is for sure. It will make my life different for a tiny while and maybe (hopefully) I can get a renewed sense of reality. It sure can’t hurt anything! It might be a great thing just to clear my mind and refresh. So I say it now:
I will be offline from Monday, February 6th to Monday February 13th. Think of this as my own REBOOT!
WOW!
This seems like a long time. I can do it or at least, I can try.

Have you ever wanted to trash techno for a while?

Tell me about it!
!



Will I be able to do it? I don’t know. I am thinking of it as a techno vacation to get my things in order and clear the way for a brighter future. I have to do something different and cleansing my mind needs to be part of this endeavor. I just don’t know if this is too drastic. We will see.

3 comments:

Robert Goldberg said...

Absolutely. And I find I am more reactive to my technology than to almost anything else. It is, in some way I'm not sure how to define, extremely addictive. I spend too much time on Facebook. If equipment malfunctions, it feels like something between a betrayal and a neurological breakdown. Almost all of my artistic pursuits are computer-based or computer-enhanced. I feel with you on this. Happy week away. I do abjure Facebook for a week, now and then, but I ultimately seem to find my way back to the bad old habits. I don't know, really, how to disconnect from all this, or if I should. But I do know that the problem is mine, not the computer's. It can do without me just fine.

sara star said...

I get most of my sales and contacts for sales through my email and internet connections. I don't think an internet fast is a good idea. I think that promoting yourself and staying in touch is important as you are trying to build a business.

I still have a day job, but if I didn't I would have to throw myself even more into the internet to get commissions and sales to build up my success.

Eva said...

I am making my boundaries. I still don't get emails on my phone, trying to resist that....