Monday, February 27, 2012

Art Blog: Do The WORK

“STICK-TO-ITIVENESS”
: dogged perseverance : tenacity


I know for sure I am tenacious. I have been making art a long time. I have never given up. Well……I have had moments of asking myself “What is the point?” That is for sure. In fact, I have had that feeling numerous times lately. However, no matter how difficult being an artist can be, I always hop back up on the horse and keep going. Gitty up!

One thing among many I am working through right now are momentary gaps of confidence. Maybe confidence is the wrong word. I think DISTRACTIONS might be more appropriate. I will be going great guns a blazing on a certain series of work and then something happens or somebody says something that upsets me and I STOP. I don’t give up making art, but I move on to some other series or idea. I have to stop doing this. We all need focus and keep the blinders on our horses as we ride towards the artistic horizon.

Like I mentioned in previous posts, I am spending February “in retreat” so to speak. I have been allowing myself time to reflect, make lists of wants and needs, and give time to understand where I have been and where I want to go artistically. I have also said that many coincidences are happening. One thing that seems to be a reoccurring theme in past weeks is I keep seeing other artist’s new work online. About three times now, photos have stopped me in my tracks. I think “I did something very similar to these ten or twenty years ago!” The odd thing is I stopped doing that kind of work due to one of my “distractions”.

Life is about learning and just like I wrote about intuition this week, it applies here too. It is important for artists to just DO THE WORK. Don’t let things or people or anything get in your way of doing the kind of art you want to do. Be true to your art heart. I have to go now because I need to get busy and take my own advice.



“Children of the Night”
Mixed Media Installation
1989
Sheree Rensel
(Click pic to see detail view)
We are all children of the night.
Don’t sleep, WORK.

No comments: