Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Art Blog: FREEDOM

I didn’t anticipate this at all. It is very difficult to explain. Have you ever felt FREE? Let me explain further. At least, I will try.



I was driving into a grocery store parking lot the other day and I had this feeling rush over me. It was a warm and fuzzy feeling of relief. I parked the car and just basked in the emotions and physical feelings of being able to do what I want to do without barriers or stuff to pull me down.

I have had this feeling before but I hadn’t really thought about it. Back when I was a teenager, I rented a studio apartment (basically, it was a room). As I plopped down on my mattress on the floor, I tingled. I loved that feeling of being my own person. Even though it meant I had to have real world responsibilities, I was FREE.

Another time I had this same feeling was when I drove my first truck off the dealership lot. I had wanted a truck so bad for so long. I remember rounding a curve on the road after signing the sales papers. I had that rush of being free to drive wherever I wanted to go. It is so funny because I feel that same way now.

Freedom does come with a price. I have never had total freedom because money always plays a role in what I can and cannot do. Yet like a cat, I seem to always land on my feet. Just like a feline, I care about my own satisfaction and abilities to do what I want, when I want. This sounds selfish, but it is all I know. We are born alone and we die alone. I am living alone, FREE.

A Facebook friend posted a Georgia O’Keefe video today. I watched it numerous times. Some people think she is brusque and rude. I don’t. I am the same way. I say what I feel and what I mean. I am honest. There is absolutely no harm intended. I just say what I think and I believe this is a good thing. There is one part of the video in which the interviewer says something like “It is so nice that Stieglitz let you come visit New Mexico.” I love her response: “He didn’t LET me go, I just went!” I had to laugh and savor this statement. I would have said that exact same thing. I was born with a sense of freedom running in my blood. Nobody has ever been able to tell me what I can or can’t do.

As the video continues she speaks of her arrival in New Mexico. She describes it as “her country”; she felt “at home”; she felt “like herself” again. I understand this with all my heart. Here I am in my little St. Pete art house working on art and occasionally going outside to sit in the Florida sun while thinking of my next art move. Ditto Georgia. DITTO!!!!
We have both experienced FREEDOM.



“Georgia O'Keeffe in New Mexico”
Click pic to view vid

2 comments:

gilda said...

THIS IS SO EFFING UNCANNY!! I was sitting in my office this afternoon watching the recent GEORGIA OKEEFFE dvd on my computer! Reveling in her feelings of freedom to be herself, define herself, go where she wanted!

Sheree, bask in the freedom that you have always had and have now!

Sheree Rensel said...

Gilda,
I think I am going to take on the word UNCANNY for my new mantra. You have no idea how stuff is coming at me in some very WEIRD ways. I am glad you are a part of the synchronicity.
I wish I had Georgia's economic freedom. That is the ONLY thing that is worrying me right now. However, I really believe there is something to all this "let it go" stuff. There are just too many bizarre coincidences happening right now. I am just sitting back and basking in the knowledge that I have done really good. I know who I am. I know what I can do in the future. I just have to wait (patiently) for SOMEBODY else to say or think "You know, we need SHEREE"
Until that happens or my money runs out, we will see.
LOL
Love you!!
:-)
Sheree