Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Art Blog: See the Forest



Working, working, working, more, more, more!

I was pushing a cart through the grocery store the other day and there was a little boy and his mom walking in front of me. As we trudged down the aisle, a bottle of orange soda fell out of the woman’s cart. The little boy grabbed it off the floor and started to twist the cap. His mother yelled “Don’t open it!! Don’t open it!” Looking like a potential criminal caught in the act, the little boy put his hands up and surrendered the bottle to his mom. I could see the soda fizzing inside the bottle. I was kind of disappointed because I would have loved to see the pop spray into the air covering the floor and products. I have mischief in me too!

This past week, I forced myself into an internet “blackout”. I went a whole week with very little time on the computer. I cheated a few times. I found it necessary to at least check my email for business purposes. Also, my Facebook addiction grabbed me a couple of times to just peek in to see what’s going on over there. For the most part, I am very proud of myself. I can’t believe I did as well as I did.

In some ways, the little boy and the soda caper is similar to what I am doing right now. I am shaking the bottle up and letting it fizz. However, I am taking the cap off and letting the fluid energy spew all over my art world. I want to shake my life up. Yeah, I might get drenched, but that is the chance I am taking. This blackout idea was a great one. It cleared my mind and let me get organized (mentally and physically). You should try it! In fact, one thing I have noticed is my art anxiety is far less right now. There is a certain calm that has landed around me. The constant stream of visuals and media hype can be wonderful at times, but it can also create a zombie like brain strain for those of us who are visual by nature. Sometimes it is good to look at a blank canvas for a while.

So that is what I did. I looked at almost nothing online this past week. It was a good thing. It gave me time. It was a chance to step back and see the forest for the trees. I spent a lot of time cleaning and rearranging my art house. I purged a whole lot of stuff. I am letting go of the past and making way for the new. I went room to room and rehung my art to see it with fresh eyes.

YES, I am starting to see the forest now.


I am living in my own museum.




Now, it is time to make more, more, more!

2 comments:

namastenancy said...

I LOVE your "museum." It's wonderful to live surrounded by the products of your own creativity. Ever since I closed my "outside" studio, I've been moving my paintings all over the apartment, looking for the best places to hang them. You inspire me to stop dithering around and Just DO IT!

Sheree Rensel said...

Nancy,
DITTO!!!!!!!!!! Do it! Do it NOW!!!!!!!!!!
:-)
Sheree