Saturday, March 10, 2012

Art Blog: Artist PASSAGES



I remember when this book came out. In fact, I read it. I was so young and clueless, I didn't really understand it. WTF is she talking about here. Well, I am older now and I GET IT big time. I think you have to have decades under your belt to really get the gist of what Gail Sheehy was talking about back in the day.
Simply said, we all have segments of our life that are chronological "passages". Each one of those segments produce various results and realities. When I read the first book, I hadn't experienced any of this. Therefore, I put all the advice aside and dismissed it. I had no clue because I had never felt or experienced anything like what she was talking about.

I do now.

I have finally realized we all have our time. We all have our time to experience new and different things. We all have our time to work towards our goals which change with every age. We all have our time to sit back, see what we have accomplished, and be proud. This is not to say we are done. Oh no. We should just keep producing, creating, making, and doing what we do. We artists who have experienced this progression of life are lucky. If we have made it this far through the years, our longevity alone gives us clout. We know our strengths and weaknesses. We know what we can do. We know what works. We can act accordingly.

I know from personal experience, this is a sticky wicket. We can get crazy about the youngsters getting noticed. Wait a minute here??? I did that ten or twenty years ago! Believe me, it is all good. We all have our time. We all have our time to do what we need to do. If you are concerned about not getting noticed or the attention you deserve, you need to change the type of attention you expect. In other words, we all have our time but the type of attention paid might change with time. I bet the younger artists admire you or don't even know what to think. The decades are not under their belts yet. These life times may be dissimilar, but every decade is still very valuable. We are comparing apples and oranges. Different things.
You have your history. You have your documentation. You have your many, many years of hard work creating your identity as a hard working artist. You have your life experience. Life experience is a wonderful thing. The youngsters will have that too some day. Be content. You are just a step ahead. You know your way. Be happy with that. Now, get busy making the next segment of your life phenomenal.

This is your new PASSAGE.



"Language of the Birds"
Graphite on paper
Installation Detail
Just like the Language of the Birds, we have to decipher our own reality. Amongst the feathers and odd direction, we find a key. It is right there and will open up the paths to our way. Every decade of our lives are like this. It just changes and transforms. This is the way life is supposed to be.
Cherish it.

No comments: