Sunday, March 25, 2012

Art Blog: Don't Quit

"Don't Quit!" This could be a mantra for some artists. However for others (myself included), it isn't an option. Art is in our DNA. Still, we have discouraging moments. Our hands fling up in the air and we are fed up. It is emotionally hurtful and traumatic. It is hard to keep doing something over and over again with no positive response (especially cash flow).

So why do we keep going?
Why do we keep making?
Why do we continue being an artist?


To get answers, I went to the source. I asked artists these questions. It was interesting to see the variety of responses. Some were philosophical. Others were sales driven. The quotes that resonate for me the most are the ones that speak of passion. Instead of reading quotes from artists of the past. Here are some motivational words from artists of the here and NOW.

Erika Allison : " It's my "safe" place, my sane place. I always turn to my art when times get tough... I know it's where truth prevails."

Evelyn McCorristin-Peters: "What keeps me going no matter what's happening is that if I do nothing, nothing will happen. You HAVE to keep creating to open the possibilities. Doing nothing results in well, nothing."

Liz Ruest : " The act of creating something, of being lost in the possibilities, keeps bringing me back too, even if the current work isn't moving off the shelf."

Licorice Chalk : " I smothered my artistic tendencies for years and now I'm not going back to that no matter what. Making art makes me feel both futility and fruitfulness. It is what makes me feel like my life might be worth a damn."

Aura Rose: " Expressing creatively is just part of what I do ..."

Caroline Boyce: " It keeps me in that space I call my own...away from it all...its mine."

Michael Mayer : " I HAVE NOWHERE ELSE TO GO! ;)"

Rachel Morris : " It's the other way around for me - when things get rough, the only thing that SAVES me is art, and writing. Even if I'm too despondent to actually make anything, the knowledge that I can and will saves me. It's like having a suit of armor on, but on the inside."

Barbara J Carter : " It got so bad in 2008, I suddenly wasn't selling a damn thing. But I knew nothing was wrong with my work, in fact it was improving. Kept painting, kept doing the shows. Couldn't think of anything else to do, sure wasn't going to just stop creating! But I did start doing some part-time work (tutoring) to help the cash flow. Gratefully stopped a couple years later when things started picking up. Sales are much better now."

Kween Kristine: " Its just always been a passion for me, a drive that even when I threaten to forget it all, I am driven back to it..."

Carolyn Osborne : "I keep making art because it is a part of my being and I have to. I love it and it is my "blood".

Then lastly, my favorite response. These words make me smile because it sounds like something I would say.


Jenipher Chandley : " It's all I am and all I got."

All of these quotes are inspirational and all agree on one thing:
Don't quit! Stay TRUE to your artist self!

Thank you to all the artists who responded to my question! :-)



"True"
(Click pic for detail view)
Acrylic on Wood
$300.
Sheree Rensel

5 comments:

JafaBrit's Art said...

It's like asking us to take a vow of silence and not speak anymore.

Sheree Rensel said...

Jaf,
That is an EXCELLENT metaphor! Perfect! :-)

Jen designs said...

Thank you. Life does have so many diverse obstacles, but one thing runs true for artists, art is our life. No matter what may come and go, we will always be driven to create. Its our outlet, like talking to a friend. And when no one egknowledges our work we feel ignored, abandoned, and alone. The key for me is to ignore the negative, abandoned myself in my art, Be a part of the art around you, and alone will never happen. I wish the best of life to all the artists. Sheree your beautiful.

Jen designs said...

Thank you. Life does have so many diverse obstacles, but one thing runs true, for artists, art is our life. No matter what may come and go, we will always be driven to create. Its our outlet, like talking to a friend. And when no one egknowledges our work we feel ignored, abandoned, and alone. The key for me is to ignore the negative, abandoned myself in my art, Be a part of the art around you, and alone will never happen. I wish the best of life to all the artists. Sheree your beautiful.

Sheree Rensel said...

Jenipher, You are right. However, I have to message you because I just thought of something funny about being "driven to create".
BTW I am not beautiful on the outside, but I think I am purty on the inside. LOL LOL
:-)
Sheree