Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Art Blog: Getting back to ROOTS

Recently, I started a new series of drawings. The “Abundance” series is a mixture of colored pencil and digital work. Right now I am going through a state of the art “blahs”. If you look at my website, you can see evidence of artistic ADHD. I am all over the place in type of work and style. I don’t mind the seeming disconnect. I am interested in a lot of things and get bored doing the same kind of art work over and over again.



“Caboche”
Abundance Series
7” x 5”, colored pencil, digital, on rag paper

When I began work on these nature form studies, it gave me a mental nudge. I remembered my beginnings. From the earliest time of my art making processes, I was always interested in designs of nature. Slowly over the years, I drifted away from this direction. A few weeks ago as I drew, I wondered why. These drawings also made me think of my days working on sculpture. The shapes and obvious investigation of natural structure mimicked the lines and shapes of the 3-D work. Years ago, I created wood sculptures out of found wood scraps and twigs. I loved them. In fact, these works kept my interest for almost a decade. However, I had to stop making them due to lack of space.





I wanted to make them again. I still don’t have space, so I decided to make little versions using the same techniques. So here I go again. I am off into a new (old) direction. I love creating these new, small works. I am going back to my roots (pun intended).



There is a connection between all my different kinds of art work.
The running thread between them is they were all made by Sheree Rensel.

No comments: