Monday, March 19, 2012

Art Blog: Take AIM



"Machine Gun 1"
Acrylic on Handmade Paper, Mixed Media
(click pics for detail view)

As we march on into our future, we often (or at least should) have goals and dreams. If you don't have a target, you will never shoot the bull's-eye. I have been working on creating my target for a while now. It isn't as easy as I thought. I have been asking what I really want and what I don't want in my art life. I have made lists. I have started new projects and filed future project aspirations. I have text reminders hanging on many windows and walls of my house. I am pushing forward. I took aim and have been preparing to shoot. After a few "practice" rounds in the past two months, I realize I need to readjust the target a bit. It wasn't my aim that was faulty. I think it was the size of the target that was throwing off my first shots.

This weekend, I had more revelations. These new ideas and realizations gave me a really great nudge. Maybe it was the kickback from the guns I was shooting. One thing I realized was I am trying too hard to be something I am not and even more importantly, don't want to be. I have been trying to fit Sheree the (round) artist into a (square) art community hole. I have wasted time on things I really don't even care about if I look at the whole picture. Also, I am not thinking big enough. Why am I aiming so low? I am better than this. I won't go into the details but I was reminded that we all must surround ourselves with people who we admire and those who will give support back to you. Another important issue is to make sure your planned scenario includes your true self.

Don't try to be someone you aren't just to make it to this goal or that or bring you money, or notoriety. All this is worthless if you aren't going to be any happier. It would be like shooting yourself in the foot; you hit something, but it hurts! Why desire something that won't make a truly positive difference in your life? So, I had to rework my plan this weekend. This rethink is part of the process. I have a new target up and I have turned my gun around. I am ready to take aim once again just in a different direction.

Ready, Aim, FIRE!


(Click pic for detail view)
"Machine Gun 2"
Acrylic on Handmade Paper, Mixed Media
(click pics for detail view)

2 comments:

Erika Allison said...

Excellent post, Sheree! You make SO many good points. Thank you for reminding me!

christine mae Engcoy said...

Amen! patient is a virtue and everyone should consider it.It is sweet when you achieve things slow for you can feel the happiness,pressure and sadness but over all impact it is satisfying.