Thursday, April 5, 2012

Art Blog: NEW Stories, LESS Lies

We are always searching for a better self. At least, we should be. I have been on a self improvement binge the past few months. Since I want to change around just about everything, I am looking inward. I am shakin up the bottle and making it fizz. I have been reading and listening to all kinds of spiritual and self help gurus. They all say about the same thing and I have heard it all before. However, I am listening with different ears now.

Two such inspirational speakers are Iyanla Vanzant and Tony Robbins. I love watching them and listening to their words. They always get my butt in gear to do more art, take on life, and to think about my potential. One thing they both have in common is the idea that we all have our "stories" or beliefs in which we define ourselves. Some of these stories we make up and put them in our heads in childhood. You might think "I was the smart child in the family!" or "I have a great sense of humor and can make anybody laugh!" Those are good stories. We can keep those. However, many times we tell ourselves negative things that are fallacies. We tell ourselves personal myths. For example, some people might think "I was born poor, so I will always be poor.", "I have tried every diet there is, I can't lose weight!" or "I am only a single parent and I can't ........." There are as many stories as people on earth. So many are lies and untruths. These kind of stories hold us back and hinder our lives.

I have a bunch of stories (LIES) I have told myself over the years. I won't get into the nitty gritty because they are too boring and stupid. One that is relevant to the present is I told myself for YEARS I had to keep a job I didn't like. My story went something like "I have to keep this job! I have to because if I don't, I will meet with financial ruin! People will think I am crazy to leave this career. [Even though I am miserable, life is supposed to be hard.] It would be a form of suicide to leave!" Well, I quit back in January and I have found out NONE of this is true. Yes, I am not rollin in dough. I still have to find ways to survive, but I am still standing nearly four months later. I don't see tragic gloom and doom on the horizon right now either.

I am really reflecting on life and finding that place inside me that has helped me survive all these years on earth. I have always known my own power. Even with silly stories floating around inside my head, I still manage to find the strength and the place in myself in which I have told myself one good story: "Sheree is a survivor!". That one is a keeper. Right now, I am working on new, TRUE stories for myself. I want to be able to recognize my authentic self and throw all the old stories away.


Have you taken a good look at yourself lately?
What are the stories you tell yourself?
Are they positive or negative? Do they help you gain speed and inspire your creativity?
If so, great. Tell me your story.
If not, make up a new story and tell me your new truths.

No comments: