Friday, July 20, 2012

Art Blog: True to YOURSELF?

OK, it is time to write. I took a little time off because I needed to get all my "eggs in a basket". I have been all over the place in every way. Rationally, emotionally, physically, and spiritually, it is obvious I am going through an art life "passage". It is all good. I can go with that. In fact, I love challenge and turmoil. Since I am old enough to have a history of decades, I know how these bumps in the road can lead to great things (eventually).

I have been experimenting. I have been trying to find the answer to the artist lifestyle dilemma. I have never depended on art sales of any kind. I figured out a long time ago, that stress wasn't worth it. So, I have always had a day job to bring in bucks and made my art too. If it sold, great. If not, that was great too. I had my day job income.

Right now, I am between day jobs. I am having money troubles. So I really put the heat on and have been trying to cater to the "market". I have about five or six different kinds of art right now. Some are so esoteric and eclectic, it is likely they will never sell. Then, I have some newer stuff that is light, airy, and marketable. Most importantly, I am pricing it CHEAP. I just want to keep my head above water. I am slowly working towards doing outside shows (which I have never done or wanted to do.) Yet, I have to find some kind of middle ground.

At least, my "table work" is within the realm of my taste. I am not doing anything yet that feels like prostitution. I am just making what I make. I have my selling art and my REAL art. I don't want to go beyond this parameter. I know for sure I want to stay true to myself (money or not). Do you make art that isn't really YOURS just to sell or do you stick to your heart and create what is true to you?



This is in the probably will "never sell" category. It is part of my "Treasure Map" series. CLICK THE PIC to see a video about this series.
I will keep doing my own work regardless.
I have been an artist too long to cave into popular opinion.
My intuition is my truth.

2 comments:

Liz Ruest said...

I think it is more a question of finding a form factor that works. Cards (like you're doing) or very small pieces are selling better for me. Seems like the market for large stuff is tricky: the person has to LOVE it well enough to hang it big & bold on their wall. I'm hoping the small pieces lead to name recognition, which might mean bigger pieces later. And I love all the layers in your Treasure Map series!

Sheree Rensel said...

Liz,
I am tired of trying to figure out what is going on right now. All my "selling" stuff is marked down almost to the point of no profit. I don't think I could give it away.
Meanwhile, your comment about my "Treasure Maps" made me laugh. They were rejected from a show today. I sat here and thought "Screw it. Screw EVERYTHING!". LOL LOL LOL LOL I just gotta laugh..............