Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Art Blog: Loose Ends

"All true artists, whether they know it or not,
create from a place of no-mind, from inner stillness."

-Eckhart Tolle

I read this quote and realized an irony. It seems logical to me that a head full of buzz would be capable of grandiose creativity. Maybe this isn't true. Recently my mind has been so full of chatter, it has become a deafening blast of sounds bouncing off every crevice of my skull. When this happens, I instinctually start to shut down. Over the years, I have developed a "restart" button that naturally protects me from going insane. LOL LOL

During the loud times, I see a pattern. First, I notice I stop talking (or typing) for a while. A few words dribble out here and there but for the most part, I become extremely anti-social. I do a lot of staring into space waiting for my mind to calm. Sometimes it takes hours, days, or weeks. In really challenging times, it might take a month or two. Luckily, I can feel and recognize when this is happening. I want to grab and shake myself while yelling "SNAP OUT OF IT!".

This blog post is the shake I need right now. Like I mentioned in a previous post, I want to go back to basics. I want fresh enthusiasm and new direction. I just don't know which way to turn. During some quiet time the past few days, I have wished for an inspired moment. I am a bit hand shy right now because all my "brilliant ideas" this past year have seemed to lead to dead ends. Also I know better than to wait for the proverbial lightening strike of inspiration, but I hesitate to start new art without something specific in mind. So today, I figured the only way to get the new ball rolling and picking up steam is to just paint to paint.

One of my bad art habits is starting things I never finish. I have a stockpile of work that are the beginnings of paintings waiting for completion. These loose ends sit around my studio staring at me. I never throw them away because some of my most cherished works were once abandoned and then resurrected. So right now in my attempt to get out of my own head, I gathered up some of the small works and decided to finish something! I will start on these little ones first. I have a number of biggies propped up being patient too. Hopefully if I start painting, I will reach that no-mind, inner stillness mentioned by Tolle. Poof! Creative juices will flow again.
Shhhhhhhh, be quiet and paint!

I bet every one of the artists reading this has bunches of "loose ends".
Get Er Done!!!

1 comment:

deb said...

I agree - I think it is because if you never FINISH a work it always has the potential to be a work of art - but if you come to the end (whatever that is or looks like0 then the object is finally manifest and the potential has disappeared.