Thursday, February 14, 2013

Art Blog: NOW WHAT?

If I have accomplished anything, it is to be honest about my art life. You see artists online singing the glories of being an artist. This is true; there is a great side. We get to express ourselves, produce work we love, and share our thoughts and feelings with others. That can be glorious. For new artists it is bright and shiny. It can seem like a disco ball of life. Just saying the words "I am an artist" can be titillating and so much fun. Chests puff up and long for pounding after this grandiose proclamation. There is some kind of heroic and austere notion about that label: ARTIST

However, it is very different after years and years and decades and decades. You suddenly STOP for a moment and need to take a relook. What am I doing? Why am I doing it? What is the point? What NOW?
I am going through this stage now. I have a great history. I have many, many wonderful art experiences. I have had success. I am entering into my last years now. I figure if I am lucky, I have twenty years left. So I am in a position of asking "What now?" I have done and experienced so much ART LIFE, I have what I call "Been there, done that" syndrome. In other words, I see young artists showing their work and being so excited. They sell a painting and they are so jazzed. Well, I have shown and sold many paintings in my art life.

That feeling isn't all that exciting anymore. I have worked in the studio for thousands of days. I have worked alone as a tribute to my craft. I have sat in galleries for hours and paid my dues. I have experienced the feelings of others loving my work and I appreciated their notice. That part has been all good, but what NOW?

I need to find something to get me excited about my art life. I have had the germ of an idea for years floating around in my mind. I have always wanted to take art "on the road". This is one of those bucket list things that just seems to never get crossed off the list. It just stays there on the crumpled paper with streaks of graphite almost obscuring the meager words. "Art Gallery on Wheels".

Well, it is time for me to start thinking about my bucket list items and figure out a way to cross them off my art life list. I saw this post today about Axle Art Gallery. I love it. I want it. I want to do that. Just this simple slide show gave me a new lease on life. I have a new goal now. I just have to figure out how to do it. It may take time, but time is all I have now.


I want that feeling of being proud of my art life.
I want to pound my chest one more time.

1 comment:

nancy namaste said...

Maybe you are at the point where you need to just let it be. Our lives move in cycles and if you are at the end of one cycle, these emotions that you are dealing with are very natural. Sometimes we just have to be in the dark before we can see the next light in the tunnel.