Sunday, April 24, 2016

Art Blog: ARTIST'S VOICE

I went to my local museum today. I went specifically to hear an artist speak about her installation. Just before the talk began, I overheard someone say the artist would not be there. Instead, the resident art historian would speak on her behalf. I was so disappointed. I am sure the art historian would do an ample job of explaining the work of the artist, but I wanted to hear it from the artist. I left before the talk began.

I read so many art history books. I am very familiar with the art history take on this artist or that. Klimt said this. Monet did that. The artist's work meant blah, blah, blah. That is their interpretation. It is all subjective. I would love to hear it from the source. I am not saying art historians are wrong. I am saying their words present a different perspective. I laugh because my work has been reviewed many times. The things other people say are sometimes insightful and other times far off the mark. Regardless, I listen. However, if they had taken the time to ask me before they threw their opinions out there, I am sure their responses would be different.

I watch art documentaries almost every day or two. I search for artist interviews, talks, studio visits, and watch many professional art film documentaries. I want to hear artist's speak for their own work in their own words. I think the best example of this is the Alice Neel documentary. She is so frank and to the point. She explains why she did what she did. She even explains her life choices in this documentary. I think it is my favorite of all time. If you get a chance to view it, you should.

Even on YouTube, there are thousands of snippets which provide us all an opportunity to hear the artist's own voice. We are lucky now to live in this age of technology. There are so many artists online telling their own story. Even though Alice lived a bit before this techno surge, at least her voice has been documented. This is a great example of what I am talking about here. This little video shows Alice speaking and the critic/art historian types speaking about her. Good for them. However, her words ring truer to me. Maybe because I feel the presence of a kindred artist spirit.


CLICK pic to watch a little snippet of ALICE telling it like it really is!

No comments: