Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Art Blog: FREEDOM

It is all starting to come together. Finally, I am seeing some kind of light at the end of the tunnel. It has taken a few years, but it is starting to coalesce. Around 2012, I had to leave a job I loved. I had been working that job since the 80's to support my art life. Of course, I would have loved to just make art, but I have never wanted to depend on art sales to support me. I have always opted to work a day job so I could make any kind of art I wanted. Until then, this plan worked and it was bearable and at times enjoyable. However in 2012, it became too much for me to bear. I have always been a person who dances to the beat of her own drum. I am not a fan of authoritarian rule. That year, I made a pact with myself. I told myself, I am not going to do anything that I don't want to do, EVER AGAIN. So, I quit my job.

It has been 4 years now. It has been a wild ride. I have worked again on and off, but the same issues came up. It seems the workplace nowadays is all about authoritative B.S. Being dependable, loyal, hard working, and ethical means very little. What seems to be the most important is if you kowtow to the boss du jour. Seriously, I had one job in which I had four bosses in a matter of a few months. All of them were jerks and not very well educated. Nor did they know how to lead. This scenario seems to be a common thread in today's workforce.

Two months ago, I went to a job interview which was probably the best interview I have ever had in my life. I loved it. It lasted more than twice the time expected. There was laughter, banter, and great discussion about the job at hand. However, I saw one of the interviewers glaring at me. I knew what see was thinking. She knew and I knew I was not going to be submissive enough for this job. I wasn't young enough and naive enough. This is all such a shame because I would have been such a great addition to that organization.

I didn't cry a tear when I was rejected. I have come to the conclusion all this is a sign from heaven or the Universe or whatever. I am suppose to go to work in my studio. That is it. Just do my own work. I am my own boss. I think it needs to be this way.


No comments: